There is a lot changing at Walt Disney World in 2019. Along with some loved rides closing for a fresh refurbishment, there are so many things opening in 2019 to be excited about!
Sadly as new things come others go at the ever evolving Walt Disney World. This is the currrent list of closures for 2019. (updated 10/07/19)
- Royal Majesty Makers – closed October 6, 2019
- The Muppets Present…Great Moments in American History – closed October 6, 2019
- IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth – closed October 1, 2019
- Innoventions East – closed September 8, 2019
- Take a Nanooze Break – closed September 8, 2019
- Marc Angers and Friends – closed June 17, 2019
- Norway Vikings – closed March 31, 2019
- SpectacuLAB – closed January 13, 2019
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
- Meet Mike and Sulley at Walt Disney Presents – set to close October 1, 2019, but it is still open for now!
- The Super Shindig – closed October 1, 2019
- Star Wars Launch Bay: Encounter Kylo Ren – closed August 29, 2019
- March of the First Order – closed July 7, 2019
- Disney Movie Magic – closed May 1, 2019
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
- Dino-Riffic Dance Party! – closed September 23, 2019
- Burudika Band – closed October 14, 2019
Were any of these a favorite or maybe you are happy to see it go? Please tell us in the comments!
Disney attractions run a lot! From time to time they need a fresh coat of paint and some repairs. January and February are typically slower months and most refurbishments take place during this time. The Walt Disney World Resort Monorail System is undergoing refurbishment and may be on modified service and/or routes. This is ongoing until further notice.
At the Magic Kingdom, the Walt Disney World Railroad is under refurbishment until further notice. Tomorrowland Speedway was closed from early January 2019 to mid-May 2019. Peter Pan’s Flight was closed from early January 2019 to early February 2019. Over at the Animal Kingdom, Kali River Rapids was closed early January 2019 until late March 2019. Rafiki’s Planet Watch was closed and now open again. Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park is closed for its annual refurbishment January 6, 2019, to March 16, 2019 while Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park will be refurbished during the fall and early winter of 2020.
Major Epcot Changes
The newest additions to the refurbishment list is at Epcot. O Canada and Impressions De France are both being refurbished started in early fall and ongoing until further notice, but those are minor updates compared to the major overhaul this entire park is getting. As part of the ongoing transformation of Epcot refer to the following list to see what is temporarily closed or relocated from Fall 2019 to Winter 2020.
- Fountain View featuring Starbucks will relocate to a temporary location in late Fall.
- Club Cool will also close during this time with elements set to return in the future.
- Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot will temporarily close beginning on September 8, 2019. Enjoy meeting favorite Disney Characters at other locations throughout Epcot.
- Pin Central will operate temporarily from a new location while refurbishment is underway. The Camera Center will close this fall to become a new home for Pin Central.
- Heritage Manor is also scheduled to close and return early next year.
- Art of Disney will operate temporarily from a new location while refurbishment is underway. Heritage Manor will later become the new home for Art of Disney offerings.
- Electric Umbrella is scheduled to close this winter. New dining options will be available in the future, featuring a variety of food and beverage selections.
- Mouse Gear will move to a temporary home this winter while its current location is reimagined.
The most exciting change in 2019 is the opening of Star Wars Land: Galaxy Edge in Hollywood Studios! Scheduled to open August 29, 2019, after the land opens in California in May 2019. Get ready to ride the Millennium Falcon on Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run and find yourself in the middle of the battle on Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance. For more about that opening head to our article about that here. Also in Hollywood Studios, Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway was set to open in summer 2019, but this has been pushed back to Spring 2020. This will be the first ride centered around Mickey Mouse himself! Starting in January and ran through Sept. 30, 2019, you could celebrate with the Incredibles at Pixar Place as its magically transformed into a Municiberg city bloc. Meet Mike and Sulley at Walt Disney Presents began on January 18, 2019 and ended October 1, 2019.
Get an aerial view and some much needed additional transportation on the new Disney Skyliner opened in September 29, 2019, but currently “temporarily closed” after a setback a week after opening. The skyliner connects four Disney Resorts Art of Animation, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach and the soon-to-debut Disney Vacation Club property Riviera Resort to Epcot and Hollywood Studios.
Over at the Magic Kingdom, the Move It! Shake It! MousekeDance It! Street Party opened on January 18th, 2019. Mickey & Minnie also got new outfits for their meet & greets which was amazing, but ended Sept. 30, 2019 and Pluto got a new meet & greet location under the big top at Storybook Circus.
At Epcot most things are closing for “further enhancements”, but one big addition that recently opened is Epcot Forever. A new nighttime firework show replacing the much loved IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth which permanently ended October 2, 2019.
2019 Disney World Attraction Refurbishment Closures and Openings
Peter Pan’s Flight: Closed early January 2019 – early February 2019
Tomorrowland Speedway: Closed early January 2019 – mid-May 2019
Monorail: Open but ongoing refurbishment until further notice
Walt Disney World Railroad: Early December 2018 – Until further notice
Move It! Shake It! MousekeDance It! Street Party: Opened January 18th, 2019
Meet Pluto at Storybook Circus: Opened January 18th, 2019
Astro Orbiter: Closed July 17, 2019 to September 19, 2019
Disney Skyliner: Opening Fall 2019 Closed until further notice
Fountain View featuring Starbucks: Will relocate to a temporary location in late Fall 2019
Club Cool: Closed until further notice
Meet Disney Pals at the Epcot Character Spot: Closed September 8, 2019 until further notice
Pin Central: Will relocate to a temporary location in late Fall 2019
Heritage Manor: Closed until further notice
Art of Disney: Will relocate to a temporary location in late Fall 2019
Electric Umbrella: Closing Winter 2019/2020 until further notice
Mouse Gear: Will relocate to a temporary location Winter 2019/2020
O Canada: Closed August 1, 2019 to Early 2020
Impressions De France: Closed until further notice
Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Star Wars Galaxy Edge: Open August 29, 2019
Millennium Falcon: Smugglers run: Open August 29, 2019
Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance: Opening December 5, 2019
Celebrate with the Incredibles at Pixar Place: Open January 18 – September 30, 2019
Meet Mike & Sully at Walt Disney Presents: Open January 18, 2019
Mickey & Minnie’s Runaway Railway – Opening Summer 2019 Now opening Spring 2020
Disney Skyliner: Opening Fall 2019 closed until further notice
Disney’s Animal Kingdom
Kali River Rapids: Closed Early January 2019 – late March 2019
Rafiki’s Planet Watch: Closed Oct. 21, 2018 – Summer 2019
Primeval Whirl – Closed July 2019 through October 2019 (doesn’t look promising for this one)
UP! A Great Bird Adventure – Closed September 8, 2019 to September 14, 2019
Disney’s Typhoon Lagoon Water Park
Closed January 6, 2019 – March 29, 2019
Disney’s Blizzard Beach Water Park
Closed September 8, 2019 – Early 2020
*The Monorail is undergoing refurbishment and may be on modified service and/or routes until further notice.