Whenever we get invited to someone’s house, I always bring an appetizer or dish. While a six pack of beer or bottle of wine is nice, I think food goes a long way too. Typically, there is never enough food and even if it doesn’t all get eaten, it’s always appreciated. Recently our friends had a cookout 30th birthday party and we couldn’t show up empty handed. Dips are super easy to make and transport. I threw together this simple Spinach Con Queso and it got rave reviews.
- One can of diced tomatoes and green chilis (mild or spicy)
- One block of frozen Spinach – thawed and drained
- One medium onion diced
- 12 ounces of Cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 6 ounces of Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- Two cups of lowfat Milk
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (you can add more if you like extra spice)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Olive Oil
Instructions for Spinach Con Queso
Prep time 5 minutes
Cook time 10 minutes
- Place a small amount of olive oil to line your pan and add the chopped onions. Cook on medium heat until soft.
- Add one cup of milk and a teaspoon of olive oil to a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Once the milk begins to boil reduce heat and add in the can of tomatoes/green chilis (drained) and the spices. Stir together.
- In small batches add in the cheeses, stirring as you add.
- Add the cooked onions and thawed spinach to the sauce pan.
- Keep stirring until all ingredients are well mixed and cheese has completely melted.
- Add the second cup of milk stirring until smooth. (if you want the queso thicker you can leave out second cup of milk)
- Serve warm with tortilla chips or veggies!